Learn and Enjoy English With The 5 Boyfriends!
These are always areas students want to know and learn more about….
So, today, I have something light and humorous to share with you.
My sister sent it to me.
I apologize I don’t know who the author or artist is. But I thank them for creating such an enjoyable day in the life of a mature woman with her “5 Boyfriends”!
But before you read about this woman’s day, here are some expressions that will help you understand the play-on-words, the colloquial expressions and phrasal verbs.
- “Will” is the shortened form for William, as well as part of the compound noun: will power.
- “John” is a name for a man; it is also an American colloquial, informal, but polite, expression for the toilet.
- “Charlie Horse” refers to the colloquial expression, charley horse, which is a painful and involuntary muscle contraction, (also called spasms or cramps), especially in the thigh or calf. (Do you know what parts of the body those words refer to?)
- “Arthur Ritis” is a play on the sound of the English pronunication for that painful disease that affects the joints, arthritis.
- “to go from joint to joint“: a joint is an American colloquial expression for a bar/pub/nightclub, they are usually smokey places, where there also could be dancing.
- did you get the play-on-words with the man’s name, Al Zymer? What is this name referring to?
If you have any problems finding the words, click on the word – it is linked to the dictionary – but then you must choose which definition fits the context “he he he”
P.S. Unfortunately, I don’t have the artist’s name to request permission nor to give him or her proper acknowledgement.
Did you know that…
I am seeing 5 boyfriends
Yeah, what a life!
The first one, well,
as soon as I wake up,
helps me get out of bed. Bless him!
I go to see John
Everyone needs a “john” in their day, don’t you think so?
The third guy is
I don’t invite him over,
but he comes along, anyway,
& when he is here, well,
he takes a lot of my time & attention.
When he leaves,
shows up & stays the rest of the day.
He doesn’t like to stay in one place very long, so he takes me from
joint to joint.
After such a busy day,
I’m really tired& glad to go to bed with
Oh, yes, I’m also
Sometimes, I think I’ll call
to come and keep me company if life gets too stressful.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper…
the closer it gets to the end,
the faster it goes…
- have fun,
- think good thoughts only,
- learn to laugh at yourself,
Here’s to life!
What a life!
(I’m celebrating because my husband
was a contestant in the
“International Husband of the Year Award”)