Say IT With Words IN Photos….
elementary to intermediate (possibly: upper-intermediate)
Materials You Need:
several note cards, a marker or pen
(optional: a palm-sized video camera, such as a Flip video camera)
Expressing your feelings…
How do you express your feelings in English? For example, how do you tell someone that you:
- love them?
- are sorry for what you said or did?
- are sad when you heard about the death of someone they loved (mother, father, child, brother, sister, grandparent, relative, friend…)?
How do you express these feelings or sentiments in your own language?
Say it with Flowers
Have you ever heard of the expression: “Say it With Flowers”?
Florists wanted to sell more flowers… so they encouraged people to express their feelings with flowers. They felt a flower – or better – lots of flowers could say it better than words….!
In different cultures, different flowers have different meanings.
If you would like to see what some of these flowers are
and what they can mean click here to see a website with photos of flowers
and their various meanings.
So if you sent roses what could they mean?
If you sent carnations, what could the person who received them understand?
Do these flowers have the same meaning in your culture?
Say it with Photos and Words….
However, another young woman felt that she could express her feelings or ”say it” better with words and photos…
Before we look at the photo, let’s look at some of the vocabulary:
- quit (verb) = to stop doing something
- @ (how do you use this symbol usually?) = at
- hell = a place where you suffer a lot
- to put up with (phrasal verb) = to endure, to tolerate
- temper = quick to become angry
- bad breath = when a person’s breath has a bad smell
- a broker = a business person who buys or sells something in place of someone else
Some interesting expressions:
- “I’ve learned a lot … “ example: “I learned a lot studying English with this teacher.”
- “I’m going to miss … ” example: “I’m going to miss all the fun I had during the month of August.”
As you look at this photo, answer these questions:
- who is Spencer? guess
- what did the girl put up with?
Look at these photos – did she succeed in expressing her feelings?
- Who do you think Spencer is?
- What did she do for Spencer?
- Why is the woman quitting?
- What did she put up with?
- What did the woman learn?
- When did she learn it?
- Who is she going to miss?
- Imagine you are quitting your job or quitting the gym you go to or quitting a team you belong to.
- Using the vocabulary, grammar and expressions you learned in today’s lesson -
Write on different note cards your message
explaining to all your friends
why you are quitting
- just like the woman did….
Please put in the comment box below
some examples of what you put on your note cards
I look forward to hearing from you,